Bee Friends Programme 2020/2021
This initiative sees us partner with local schools to educate and raise awareness of the importance of bees and beekeeping to students. As part of this environmental work Tahi is delighted to introduce to you our Bee Friends programme. This initiative sees us partner with local schools to educate and raise awareness of the importance of bees and beekeeping to students. We have been running this programme for 2 years and currently have beehives in 4 primary schools in the Whangarei area. Tahi would now like to offer this programme to other schools that may wish to incorporate it into their curriculum. Click below to download our information booklet for 2020/2021DOWNLOAD PDF BOOKLET
- Understanding the importance of managing a hive
- Identify key conditions of a hive
- Identify ways to improve hive health
- Know how a hive is managed over a season
- Identify ways to maintain hive health
- Know how to keep safe around hives
Tahi NZ is a privately-owned nature reserve and Manuka honey producer based in Pataua North. Tahi covers 315 hectares of award winning replanted and regenerating native forest, reintroduced wetland areas, and a vast network of walking tracks and pathways. We have over 3,000 beehives located around the Whangarei district that are serviced by a team of dedicated beekeepers. We process our own honey in a purpose-built honey extraction and jarring facility at Tahi; it is then sold nationally and exported to over 23 countries globally.
What We Provide
- A full curriculum for students, along with resources and worksheets.
- A trained beekeeper, who will come and visit your school fortnightly to educate 2 groups of 5 students.
- 10 beekeeping suits with the Tahi logo (that will be replaced every 5 years) and 10 sets of gloves.
- 2 beehives (with frames and bees) which will be branded Tahi and will remain the property of Tahi Estate Ltd.
- The honey, once harvested into 20L pails, will be returned for the school’s use.
- 1 block of beeswax (approx. 3kg).
Tahi are extremely proud to have won awards for our environmental work, wetland conservation and dune restoration at the Tahi property. In 2018 we were a highly commended finalist for the Restoring Nature category of the NZ Sustainable Business Network awards. We want to share our passion and knowledge with the next generation.
Register Your Interest
Fill out the form below to register your interest in our schools programme.
We will then get in contact to discuss further details. If you have any questions and require further information, please ring Helen Sinclair on 436 0082. We have a very limited number of spaces available for schools to join our programme in September 2020 and additional spaces will be available if your school would like to become involved in September 2021. Please indicate your timing preference on the above Expression of Interest form.